Ellie's Tracker

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Thursday, May 23, 2013

Birthday Gifts

Ellie's cousin turned 2 this month. Last time she visited, she loved the Colors Book I made for Ellie. So I decided to dedicate many late nights in my sewing room, and make some special birthday presents!

I started with adorable quilted fabric letters adapted from THIS tutorial over at Happy Together. I ordered up a charm pack in Ticklish by Me & My Sister Designs for Moda. I love how they turned out!



I knew the Colors book was a must considering how much she enjoyed Ellie's. Plus, she's a great age for learning colors! So it is similar to Ellie's. It's actually better, since I learned a lot in the make-it-up-as-you-go style of Ellie's. Many of the fabrics are the same since I had some left over, but all the trims were new and different.



Then I saw a picture online of a super cute fabric crown. Every birthday girl needs a tiara!!! So I ordered up some fabric, made a crown shaped template, and away I went! It was actually really easy and the fastest project I did. None of the pictures I had seen included a veil, and I felt like some pink chiffon on the back seemed very princessy. So I did it. I also ironed on an "L" for her name on the front.



Finally, I needed a little bag for the fabric letters. First I was thinking zippered pouch, then drawstring bag, then fabric basket. It just kept evolving in my mind. I settled on a little fabric basket and went into the room to sew it up. As I was rummaging through my fabric, I saw a ruffle fabric remnant I had purchased. SO CUTE! I new I had to use that. But it would never be strong enough to hold it's shape as a basket. At least not with the supplies I had on hand. So it changed again into a little purse. And I love it! Everyone I showed wanted one in "adult size!"



I hope she loves her gifts! They were very fun to make. Sewing for little girls is my favorite crafty activity!

Mama Saree

No comments:

Post a Comment